Groundskeeping

                                                                                                                                                from 5-29-86

 

 



When I moved in


I didn’t see


the border of bleeding hearts


encircling the yard


rosy chambers leaking


bloodless drops of white

 


I lost her wild


asparagus. I admit


to letting him remove


the horseradish


though it would have


pleased my daddy


And the rhubarb fades


turns woody before I

notice


But overall

 


I respect her plantings


dutifully crush lemon verbena

and bring my fingers to my nose


spice salads


with bitter borage


cherish the flowering garlic chives


harvest an overgrowth


of raspberries


at the property line

 


My carrots, radishes


and vining cucumbers


flourish in the bed


she made


Lake iris clump outside


the corner of my kitchen


come singly to stand


over quiet dinners


 

My neighbor’s granddaughter


leaned over the fence


outlined


in three varieties of mint


to tell me


everyone said she was crazy


This too I respect

 


Now I think of going


and I plant



forget-me-nots

Comments

Popular Posts