Poems for my Father

De los Muertos


It is my job to remember.
I can do nothing else
for you now,
your grave too far
for flowers
or a picnic
on this Day
of the Dead.

An old man
in a red plaid cap
walks your crabbed walk
between two canes
stops and looks out
over the lake
to the horizon
his power flickering
in the gray wind.

One year ago
we walked
hoping against hope
in the slender light
of an October afternoon.
I miss you.

I missed you then.


Your Hands


Your hands
skin breaking down
when you could no longer
stand alone
at the sink
you teetered
balanced perilously
gripped the edge of the porcelain,
the frame of your walker
to scrub
as if for surgery
still

Your hands
strong once, archetypal

eased babies
into the world

spilled arpeggios
of “Love is All”
with flourish
past the bedtimes
of your children

wielded wooden tongue depressors

shook mercury down
in now extinct glass thermometers
snapping arcs through the air

learned to touch for knowledge
and for healing
separate from any cure

scribbled your inscrutable name
on prescription pads
and greeting cards

spanked sobbing evildoers
me among them
after the fashion
with open palm
though your heart
was seldom in it

grasped the nervous fingers
of my dates
their high school coolness
melting in your presence
though you were the one
with the awful jokes

stitched the lawn-mowered hand
of your surgeon partner

put shattered motorcyclists
back together,
my suitcase on the train
my parakeet
in the ground

Your hands
age-spots and
purple Plavix flowers
coffee-sloshing tremor
shaky signature
giving me power
of attorney
to act for you
a power that died
with you
like so many others

Your head
in your hands
your life
in ours
at the end


Dead, again

Still working on
getting you dead
for good
for once
and for all
Can’t graduate
from this life
‘til your homework’s
done
weeks waiting
on Louisiana death
certificates
The lawyer wants his cut
to act on the will
he billed you
to execute
My new fax machine
whirrs out a flurry
of papers
Communiques necessary
to the project
of finishing your life
You are quiet.
We speak and act for you
and for the ancient bride you left
behind a veil of fog
Today, two headstones
materialized
where there had been
none.
No one remembers
ordering the first
the day you died.
Was it you?
A last act
to get us started
on this tearless trail
where work stands in
for weeping?

When a week, a month
goes by
and my dead father
adds nothing to my to-do list
will you be gone, finally?
Will I be finished losing you?


Breath Vigil

Settled in
zafu on zabuton
tailbone and knees
my anchors

In
Out
Awake
Aware

Heady plume of incense
rising like a snake
from the glowing tip
“to invite the awakening mind”

rhythm of my
inhalation
exhalation

the breath
all

breathing
like my children
like my ancestors
like my father
as he labored
dying

watching his chest
and praying
though not to any god
he would have recognized
for his breath
to end
to go on forever

In zazen
I watch my breath

His breathing
and
no longer breathing
surface

We breathe
together

Coming back
to the breath.


Put By

Ruby heads of sedum—
folk-named
stonecrop and live-forever—
blaze, then fade
as days pass
my torpor deepens
chrysanthemums stand scarlet
witness to my grief
their stalwart blush
the flowering of past good work
a hedge against this dark time
weeds unchecked
and I too sad to move
still blessed in color








Comments

Popular Posts